Saturday 28 October 2006

Believe it or not there are actually some occasions when I make things. Quite a lot of things actually. The problem is I forget to take pictures, or they're sent off to another part of the world and by the time they get to their eventual destination the sense of achievement I felt about making them has been dulled by the fact the post office has taken 4 times longer to deliver them than they should have done, so I never get around to blogging about them.
So I will now do a bit of a catch up post.

Ages ago I took part in the Craftster "Foreign Exchange Swap". My parcel took the scenic 3 week route to Joanna in Germany, but at least it got there eventually.

Here's the group shot:

Craftster Foreign Exchange Swap


I would have been gutted had it got lost, not only because the crafted things marked a turning point in the relationship between my sewing machine and I, (we made friends while making those coasters.) But also because I had sent one of my precious bottles of Hendersons Relish which I have to import from Sheffield to Stalybridge.

As well as the Hendersons I sent some Yorkshire Tea, a CD of British music, a load of papers, tourist leaflets, takeout menu's. The crafted things were the little flower badge, also this fabric recipe box.

Recipe CardsRecipe BoxReverse of Recipe Cards


The recipes are all traditional and regional dishes, like Scouse, Black Pudding, Haggis, Eccles Cakes, Yorkshire Pudding (I did point out that unless she'd got some Yorkshire blood she's struggle with these), and also details on how to do a English Breakfast and a Sunday Lunch. I did a few cards on traditions like bonfire night too, with some Bonfire Night themed recipes, and a bit of information too on accents and dialects, as well as some other things.

Union flag coasters


Lastly I made these Union flag coasters which I have to admit I love! I was tempted to keep a couple and only send 4, but I was good and sent them all. I had to borrow a photo off Joanna, because I'm daft and forgot to take a photo of the reverse. I used blue fabric and different width ribbons for the flag, the reverse is some red, white and blue flowery fabric which in a previous life was a summer dress of mine. I only wore it briefly when I was 17 when for a few short weeks it was too hot to be a Goth, so I'm glad it's finally being used.

As usual this post has taken an age to write because I'm so easily distracted. I could use the extra hour I'll gain this evening by staying up late, but instead I'm going to use it by getting a much needed extra hour in bed. If I can avoid distractions I'll carry on catching up on Monday.

No comments: