Wednesday 19 July 2006

Sorry for apparently dropping off the radar recently. After coming back from Cornwall I had a week off, where I was busy doing house and garden things, then since being back at work I can't get back into the swing of it. I still love it, but I want another holiday. Quite handy then that it's my birthday in a fortnight so I've got another week off.

So what's brought me out of my lurkdom?
Dramatic Pictures!

There may be someone out there who hasn't heard that it's Really Bloody Hot in the UK at the moment. For that person... believe me, it is... Really Hot.

I've been at work today, lounging around, trying to keep cool, trying to keep clients calm and entertained on a day when they can't go out. I've spent most of the day on the phone, trying to get a new fridge before the one at work dies completely. That was pretty much solved when we had drama!
There is an area of the garden overgrown with trees which we never venture into, we were sat relaxing in the lounge when there was a huge *CRACK* as a large branch fell off one of the trees. It didn't fall to the floor but stayed suspended high up in the air, just about supported by the other trees. There was no breeze at that time, so it can only be the heat that caused it. We spent a little time trying to figure out which tree had fallen and whether it was likely to bring anything else down, but the ongoing creaks and groans convinced us it wasn't safe (it felt like an episode from "Lost") so we retreated to safety and I spent the afternoon trying to phone people to find out who could look at it for us.

But, that drama wasn't what I have pictures of.

Fire!



This was the view out of my window a couple of hours ago. The moors opposite have been burning since about midday today. The fire was apparently moving away from us, towards Derbyshire, and the smoke was blowing over towards Stalybridge town centre so missing us.

Here's the BBC news article about it. I think the picture must have been taken from the end of the road.
The fire was not near any property, and was thought to be about one mile away from the nearest road.
Yes, that would be our road, and I reckon it's a lot less than a mile.

Since taking this the wind has picked up a lot and changed direction, the view is now one big smokey blur blowing over our house.
Not only is it Really Bloody Hot, but it's Really Bloody Hot And We Can't Have The Windows Open! Even with them all shut it's making my eyes sore, getting to my throat, and bringing my asthma on. I can't see the source of the fire anymore so don't know if it's getting closer to us or not. I doubt we're in much danger either way... but I'm glad I'm not on the other side of the road.

One plus side is that icecreams are really good for helping to cool you down whilst also soothing on smoke inhaled sore throats (made worse by having to go cat hunting in it because we were getting worried about them.)

I've been busy making things, and tking pictures of them. I've also got pictures of the deck which now has a railing, so is safe to explore, also the grass has gone so at some point it will be full of lovely plants, at the moment it's mostly bare dust dry soil.

Finally, today is the day I'm due to become an Aunty for the first time, but baby obviously isn't ready yet. I'm not sure what seems worse, being 9 months pregnant in this heat... or being in labour in this heat. I guess hospitals are air conditioned though.
Mental note, don't get pregnant in September/October/November.

No comments: