Saturday 22 July 2006

I had an adventure today, I went along to the North Cheshire Guild of Weavers Spinners and Dyers. It's near Warrington, which is about 45 minutes from me, but it's the nearest one. I've been promising myself I'd go, but kept chickening out, then I realized that Ali, whose blog I've been reading for a while, is a member. I love how blogs give you enough information about people to think of them as friends even without meeting them, so that, added to the fact her photos of meetings showed young people gave me the extra courage I needed to go.

My plans were nearly thwarted by a colleague spraining her ankle, meaning I had to stay on at work and do the night shift, but thankfully the guys slept pretty well which meant I did too. I was still shattered, but I made it through the day without falling asleep (until I got home) I was just a lot quieter than normal.
We had a class on Rainbow Dyeing, which was good fun, I dyed some sample yarns which I'm sure I can turn into something, then I at the last minute I threw some merino fleece into the pot. I didn't soak it for very long, and wasn't expecting it to work very well but it seems to be a success.

dyed yarns


I keep telling myself that next time I'll try muted colours, or shades of the same colour, but I always end up with rainbows. Oh well :)

Of course Gonzo had to get in on the action, and he got a slap for getting his claws stuck in the fleece.

gonzo dyeing



Now I'm going to bed because I'm exhausted, and I have another sleep-in tomorrow. 3 more shifts till my next week off... and my birthday :)

Speaking of my birthday. We're thinking of having a barbecue on the Sunday beforehand, (if the weather is okay) it's the 30th July. Open invite to anyone who wants to attend. I'll probably get in touch with people a couple of days before though. I realize not everyone leaves things till the last minute like I do, so I'm trying to give people advance notice.

The fires are still burning across the road, they keep dying down in parts, then suddenly getting loads worse again. Shell took some pictures of them earlier today from higher up the valley. The area on her photos has got worse this evening, we can see flames there again now instead of just smoke. The helicopters were dropping water on them again early.

If we don't get enough rain by Sunday to put them out we could forget the barbecue and just go across the road to cook everything.

No comments: