Monday 3 July 2006

I think I've found my spiritual home.
Cornwall has the wide open spaces and hills I love of the Peak District, plus the sea, plus little craft spots, (I passed so many wool shops and even managed to go in a couple) plus Cider, plus cream teas, plus ice cream (I ate soooo much!). They also seem to be making a genuine effort to do something about climate change, seeing Wind Turbines everywhere makes me so happy. And for any people who say "Hmph fine so long as they're not in my backyard".... well personally I'd be delighted if the vew from my living room was peppered with Wind Turbines.

To top it all, my hayfever was managable with a couple of tablets a day, and my excema seemed to clear up too. Unfortunatly both have come back with a vengence since I got home.

My nerves about my fellow staff mamber were unfounded, we got on really well and I'd be happy to go with her again. My client was also wonderful. At home he wakes somewhere between 6:30 and 7, then goes to bed about 8:30. We were told he was the same on holiday, but we got him to sleep in till 9 most days (10 on one day) and he was going to bed at about 9:30, though he stayed up till 11 one night, we couldn't believe it, we kept asking him if he wanted to go to bed but all we got was "no, not yet". We had to take a picture of him with the clock becuase we knew no one would believe us.

We visited The Maritime Museum at Falmouth (but it rained so didn't see much of the town), St Austell, which wasn't too nice, but it's going through a regeneration project at the moment so I'll let it off. Plymouth I loved, even though pushing the wheelchair up the hills was hard it was worth it. We went on a boat ride, then sat on Plymouth Hoe eating ice-creams that were melting quicker than we could eat them, I found loads of little junk/crafty shops and would have happily spent a few days there on my own. I got sunburnt too, but that's nothing new. I loved the Eden Project, annoyingly the other staff member wasn't interested so we only go a couple of hours to look around. We had ice creams at Widemouth Bay, then cream teas at Crackington Haven, then felt ill. A gentle stroll around the shops at Boscastle soon set us right though. We went to Bude beach a couple of times, but chickened out of pushing the wheelchair around the shops there, far too steep. On the second trip to the beach we swapped the wheelchair for a Sand Buggy which meant we could actually get on the beach, and even take our client for a "paddle", the weather was gorgeous, so we had a couple of hours sunbathing.

I missed Porl loads though, he must have thought I was gloating, I kept phoning him from places with spectacular views, or when I was eating ice creams, but I was just wishing he was there with me.

I've got 2 weeks off in September, so I think we'll have to go back there together.

No comments: