Wednesday 14 June 2006

I've been restless and in a foul mood all day. I'm stressed about something (I know this because the insides of my cheeks are chewed to shreds) but I don't know what.

Maybe it's the weather. It's been overcast and threatening like rain all day but it's stayed dry. Which means I still have to go out and water the plantpots. I love plants in pots and baskets, but I hate watering them. I need to get the outside tap fixed so I can use a hosepipe (no bans round here) the watering can is too heavy to lift for the baskets and I always end up drenched.
Why then if I hate watering them am I considering going and planting up a few more to climb up the spiral staircase my neighbour gave me?

Today I was planning on spring cleaning. I cleaned the bathroom and fixed the hose to the tumble dryer, but by that point my mood was 10x worse, so decided that for Porl's sake I'd best stop before I turned green and nasty.
When we were little my brother and I (and mum too) always said Mum was like the Incredible Hulk, she rarely lost her temper, but when she did she went green and nasty. It seems I'm the same.

I have spent a good hour of so spinning though, well trying. I'm getting there slowly. I've found 3 problems, and 2 I've solved.

Problem 1 - can't get the wheel to keep turning, it was losing momentum before doing a full turn.
Solution - I realized it was doing a little jerk when I first treadled, so I had a little jiggle of things and realized there's a nut holding the top of the footman to the wheel, and it was loose, so the plasticy bit at the top of the footman was slipping. I've tightened it up, and hey presto, no jerk, and I can treadle properly again now.

Problem 2 - my yarn kept breaking.
Solution - stop being so adventurous (not that I was doing it on purpose) just stick to spinning bulky weight yarns. Once I can do a spindle full of nice thick, even yarn I can try spinning thinner, even yarn.

Problem 3 - Too much twist.... waaaay too much.
Sort of solved - I know this is to do with my tension, and not drafting quickly enough. I get the theory of it, I'll just have to keep practicing on the practical side. I think I need to try moving my hands further apart too.

I'm also better at drafting in new pieces of fibre now, I'm using some nice creamy white merino, and mixing it with some of the same stuff that I dyed pink with KoolAid a while ago. It's lovely and soft, and the bright colours are keeping me interested. Far better than the grey I started with last time. Too dull and I couldn't see what I'd done.

Anyhow now I'm going to see if I can find some black yarn to try and make a "fat bottomed bag" from The Happy Hooker book, then I'll sit watching Firefly and hopefully I'll have crocheted my bad mood away before bedtime....
Actually best go water those plants first.... grumble, grumble, grumble.

No comments: