Monday 30 January 2006

The PC is alive again. It was the Windows Update I did which killed the machine. I was still running Win2k as my machine was wonderfully stable and I'd never had a reason to upgrade it. But the latest Windows Update didn't like my brand of hard drive (Maxtor) so it wasn't recognising it. So we gave up on trying to fix the problem, and instead plugged the drive into Porl's machine, backed everything up, and installed XP. It's been relatively painless... so far.

It's amazing how much rubbish you can accumulate on a PC in 4 years. I thought I was relatively tidy with my files, but my machine is in the kitchen so it gets used by everyone, Porl, random friends, I suspect even the cats have a play on it at night. There are wierd files and images saved everywhere.

Why have I got 2 karaoke versions of "Lady is a Tramp" by Billy Holliday
Why have I got a folder full of McDonalds Recipes?
Why have I got a whole bunch of text files with random sentences on them?
"lacuna a blank space or missing part"
Who in Emmerdale said "I've got more bling bling than J'Lo" and why did it warrant saving as a text file?

I also need to learn to be a bit more descriptive with my file titles. Names like "Stuff", "Document" and "hgnbvadgs", really aren't helpful.

I really should delete all this junk, especially some of the rubbish in the "Received Files" my friends send me some very odd things over MSN, but there are too many things that make me giggle and remind me of stuff, so I guess I'll be stuck with a computer full of odd files and images... I'll just sort them out into tidier folders instead.

No comments: