Monday 31 October 2005

The day started badly. The problems I'd had on Friday with BT hadn't been resolved, one of our customers had been without phones all weekend. So the usual routine started of me phoning BT, bosses phoning me, me writing emails to everyone under the sun began. At 11am we got their lines back up, but by that point another customers lines had gone down (2nd time in 2 weeks for that customer) and I'd started the routine over again. I'd also had some ominous news about someone I worked with which had put my head in a spin, and I didn't know whether I was coming or going.
Sitting under the table and crying seemed like a good idea.

By dinnertime things couldn't have got much worse.

So I told my boss I was leaving.

Seriously...

The exciting news I've not been able to say anything about is that I have a new job. I'm going back to work for the NHS as a Residential Support Worker, exactly the same job as I had before moving to Stalybridge, just working for a different NHS trust. I was offered the job in June, and it's taken all this time, 5 months, for me to get all the paperwork sorted and to get a start date. My last day at this place will be 11th November, and I start my new job on Monday 14th.

I have many reasons to be pleased about.
  1. I'll be doing shift work again, I hated 9-5.
  2. I'll be working in a home drinking tea and cleaning up, instead of in an office, answering the phone and sitting at a desk all day (I'm looking forward to losing the weight I've put on.)
  3. I'll be contracted to work 25 hours a week, instead of 37.5, but there are always extra hours giving me lots of flexibility, bring on the 4 day weekends.
  4. I'll be closer to home, probably Stockport which is about 25 minutes away. They have a home close to here, so if I'm really lucky I might have a 10 minute walk to work. Either way it has to be better than the 1 hour+ commute each way I have now.
  5. I'll be working with people with Learning Disabilities again, and while they can sometimes be as frustrating as sales people, they're generally far more entertaining, and much happier.
  6. Plus a billion other reasons.


I do feel bad about the way I've left work, but I didn't have much choice. This company only requires 1 weeks notice, that works both ways. I knew getting the paperwork ready would take a while, last time I worked for the NHS it took 3 months for me to get a start date. That time I told my employer straight away that I had been offered a new job, I had a Temp working with me at the time so they extended her contract, but it dragged on for that long that it got to the stage where they couldn't afford to pay us both so I quit. Luckily within days of handing in my notice the NHS gave me a start date so I was okay. I didn't have a mortgage then, I do now, I couldn't risk it this time. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I'll be able to convince my boss of that, I tried explaining that at the time, but he was in too much of a daze to take it in.

So I'm feeling a mixture of bemused, excited, worried, and ... I'm not sure. The butterflies in my belly are doing somersaults.

I think I've just got time to write my resignation letter before bed.

Oh one last note though, the new edition of Magknits is out. I know it's Halloween but I didn't expect to be scared by finding a Doppleganger.

Oh one other last note. We've have about 12 trick or treaters, in about 6 groups. But the lad who came round twice earlier on in the week with his "Halloween is coming, the witches are coming" song hasn't been round at all.

No comments: