Monday 2 October 2006

We're quite proud of our Sunday Lunches at this house. We don't have them every Sunday as I'm often working, but they're certainly a treat to look forward to. We also know they're good because Porl's parents ask to come round to eat them.
One of the best things about a Sunday Lunch for us, is that it will also feed us for Monday teatime, and as I'm vegetarian Porl get's a whole chicken to himself, which means chicken butties until Wednesday. The cats also get the odd treat too. I like meals that last for a few days.

Our standard Sunday Lunch consists of; a roast chicken for Porl, roast potatoes, roast sweet potaotes, roast parsnips - which have been coated in parmesan, sprouts, 'special' mash - made up of normal potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and plenty of butter, stuffing, and Yorkshire puddings with sage and onion in. Also can't forget the gravy, I have Bisto onion gravy, Porl has his made with all the juices from the chicken. I also have mint sauce, the joy of being a veggie is you don't have to follow rules like mint with lamb etc etc.

It's a lot, but we don't have breakfast, we just eat this somewhere better 3 and 6 in the afternoon, then sometimes about 9pm we might be able to manage dessert.

We will always make a large saucepan full of 'special' mash, so that on Monday we can eat the leftovers. We often fry up the mash add some slices of fried aubergine and haloumi, then fry some red onion, baby tomatoes add lots of balsamic vinegar and serve with some salad. Porl will also have some of the chicken.
Another way of using the mash is to put it around some goats cheese before frying it up.
Whatever we do it's always delicious.

Yesterday however Porl cooked lamb.
Lamb is nicer for Sunday Lunch, but it isn't so good in sandwiches, and it's very expensive, so it's a treat he doesn't often have.
So he cooked the lamb and it was delicious (apparently).

I went to bed very early last night, as I was starting with a migraine, I woke at about 3am, couldn't get back to sleep, so laid there thinking of nice things to do with the lamb. I was still feeling ill, and craving comfort food, so I decided in the morning I would turn the rest of the lamb into a stew, I'd have a veggie stew and we could have dumplings.
Yum yum yum, fell back to sleep thinking happy thoughts.

This morning I woke up, came downstairs and noticed Porl had forgotten to put the lamb in the fridge. Now he might not have a Food Hygiene qualification, but experience of living with 2 cats has taught him to cover food that he wants to save. Our normally extremely well behaved cats know that the kitchen work surfaces are STRICTLY out of bounds. But the temptation of a juicey chicken, or joint of lamb has been known to tempt them so we ALWAYS cover the meat as soon as it comes out of the oven.

After making a brew and opening the door to let the cats out I went back upstairs to have a shower. I told Porl about my idea for stew which he thought was great, and we came downstairs to start making it.

I bet you can guess what we found...
The carefully covered piece of meat was no longer covered, in fact it was no longer there. Also mysteriously absent was Gonzo.
I couldn't help but laugh.
He had resisted the temptation all night until the door was opened and he was able to smuggle the meat out of the house. He returned several hours later without the meat, but looking as innocent as ever.

Moi? I'm innocent


We still had stew and dumplings, but we had to go shopping for some more meat. Tomorrow we'll be having the remains of the stew in pancakes.

Both cats are being punished for Gonzo's behaviour, as we forgot to buy their tinned food when we were out. They're on rations of dry food and water.

No comments: