Monday 5 June 2006

Oh the luxury of a Sunday off. Shifts are supposed to be shared out equally among staff, especially weekend shifts which pay more, but there are a few staff members who can't work Sundays and others who don't want to work them, so I think this has been my 2nd Sunday off in 3 months. It's a shame, I like Sundays off, but I'm not complaining too much, at least I've had a few months of healthy wages.

I took the opportunity to go to Ashton Market as they have a table top sale on a Sunday which sounded interesting and I've never been. It was okay, I arrived quite late so probably missed the best things but I did pick up some cheap jewellery which I can dismantle, and some material for a swap.

I also had a wander around the shops, I was in a good mood so decided to brave shoe shopping. I hate shoe shopping. My feet are huge (size 7) except they aren't. One foot is a 7 one a 7.5, so usually 7's are too small, and 8's (if they have any) are too big. I can also only wear flat shoes because any heel would make me taller than Porl, which feels odd. I'm desperatly in need of some new trainers though, I bought my current trainers just before the last world cup. I love them, they're so comfy, and velcro, which is good for me because laces refuse to stay fastened on my feet, but they have holes in the front now and I keep getting wet feet. I really want a pair of converse style boots in lilac, but I'll settle for a bright blue, I'm cheap though and don't want to pay £35 for trainers.

Anyhow I failed with the trainers. I found some great ones for £7, but the 7's were too small, and they had no 8's. So I bought these instead:

teleporters


I've wanted some ruby slippers for years, but finding flat ruby slippers which fit me without making my feet look like barges isn't easy. At last I've managed it though, and for just £12. God knows when I'll wear them, but they look good with jeans so I might just have to use them as every day shoes :)
Oh they do work as teleporters too. When I got how I clicked my heels together 3 times, said "there's no place like home" and hey presto I was at home. Porl pointed out the flaws in this, I pointed out he was boring.

Anyhow, going shopping late did mean that I was at the supermarket just before it closed, so I've been eating nice fresh baguettes, which were even nicer knowing they only cost 20p. I also treated myself to a couple of bunches of flowers at 25p each. I love fresh flowers, but they're an indulgence I can't usually afford.

I've spent this evening playing with the wheel. I've still not spun anything. Instead I've been reading all my books and learning what things are called, where I have to oil, how to string it (they don't tell you what to use though...I've used crochet cotton becuase it doesn't stretch) how to check the wheel isn't warped (it isn't thankfully) etc etc. I've also been trying to rub all the metal bits down with wire wool and WD40 as there are a few patches of rust. Most of the pieces are okay now, the only bits which worry me are the cup hooks and the orifice as the fibre might snag on them. I can buy more cup hooks easily but I think I'll have to use my jewellery files on the orifice smooth.

I'm also down to just 1 bobbin. There was some yarn on it which broke away when I was cleaning it up. My first thought was moths, but when I got to the centre I found the wood had been gnawed at too, then I spotted the woodworm holes. It's banished to the greenhouse until it proves to me that the woodworm is no more. It's a good job Dad is a woodturner and can make me some spare bobbins.

I can't find a makers name anywhere on the wheel, but the drum carder is made by a Canadian company Patrick Green Carders, and I think it's a Deb's Delicate Deluxe. It needs a new drive band as that has perished, but I've been looking and they are relatively cheap to replace. I'm not likely to use it for several months/years though while I'm learning so I've offered it to someone who would be able to use it on a possibly permanent loan. I'd prefer it was being used rather than sitting in my loft waiting for a day when I may get a raw fleece.

Carol, if you lived closer to me than you might have found me sat on your doorstep this weekend going "help meeee!" I'm muddling with my books at the moment so I can tell you it's a double drive wheel (I learnt the difference between double drive and scotch tension tonight). I'll take some better pictures of it when I get chance next week and you can tell me all the things I've done wrong in getting it set up :)

Now I should go to bed. Tomorrow is the first of 2 sleep-ins this week. Do you think they'd mind if I took my new toy to work?

No comments: